The title of this blog is “Me Liturgy, You drains” and is a (possibly apocryphal) story of a Parish Priest bogged down in a Church Council meeting (and I think we’ve all been there) when he burst out with that immortal phrase. Sometimes I worry that we get bogged down by buildings and institutions instead of building the Church as the Body of Christ and the spread of the Good News.
I am the Vicar of the Roborough Team Ministry, Parishes of Bickleigh & Shaugh Prior, Plymouth in the Diocese of Exeter, and this blog is my spiritual journal. In it I reflect on my ministry, the life of my parish and the wider church. It also touches on other things that are distinctly me: an obsession with coffee, technology, computer programming and English literature. These are things which help make me one of God’s children and hopefully a better priest
I have a reputation for Youth Ministry and the use of Multimedia and Technology in Evangelism. I used to run of the first sacramental alt.worship communities in the UK: the Blesséd Alt.Worship Group and was visible at Greenbelt, Walsingham and many other places. I now curate the Holy Ground | Plymouth inclusive group.
Politically radical, Unashamedly Anglocatholic, Deeply Sacramental and wildly, rabidly Inclusive: that about sums me up.
I am currently studying for an MA in Digital Theology with CODEC at Cranmer Hall, S. John’s College, Durham. This explores faith and mission through the lens of digital culture. My dissertation which I will be working on through 2018, will be exploring Sacraments in Digital Space.
I published a book on Creative Ideas in Sacramental Alternative Worship published by Canterbury Press in the Summer of 2010
published in the Autumn of 2011.
Frontline Evangelism with Young People was published in Spring 2012
According to Crockford’s, my life can be summed up as:
RUNDELL, Simon Philip. b 67. Univ of N Lon BSc95 Leeds Univ BA01 RGN90. Coll of Resurr Mirfield 99. d 01 p 02. C Southsea H Spirit Portsm 01-04; P-in-c Elson 04-09; V 09-12. P-in-c Roborough Team Ministry Exeter from 12 The Vicarage, 33 Leat Walk, Roborough, Plymouth, Devon Tel (07976) 802123 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
But to shade that in a bit – I love:
- Youth and Children’s work
- The Gospel – an Inclusive Church which is both traditional, catholic (small ‘c’) and radical
- Espresso Coffee – lots of it, full on caffeine addict. I used to love making it on my own vintage commercial Gaggia machine before this Vicarage forced me to sell it due to lack of space; but now have a DeLonghi Bean-to-cup machine.
- Programming (VB/VBA, PHP, Ajax and Java are my specialities)
- Digital Video and Photography (Sony Vegas, Nikon D7100 DSLR, Huawei P10 Camera Phone)
- David Bowie, REM, Brian Eno, Van Morrison, the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain and a lot of music in between.
I try not to hate, but what I do find intolerable is:
- Intolerance and Prejudice of any kind
- Homophobia: you are reading Paul all wrong and applying the wrong bits of OT Law to God’s creation
- The Anglican Covenant and GAFCON: there are some things which are more important that political squabbling, like the Gospel.
- I have problems with some expressions of Evangelicalism, especially those which condemn rather than love as Christ has commanded us to. Who gave them the right to judge instead of God? I also resent their affluence, numbers and easy life, but I am seeking to overcome such un-Christlike feelings.